Paul Pitchford is an expert on modern health and nutrition. He emphasizes the importance of eating whole foods and avoiding refined or processed foods. His research has shown that inflammation is one of the root causes of most common degenerations and chronic illnesses. Eating a well-balanced diet of whole foods can help prevent inflammation and contains everything you need for complete breakdown, assimilation, metabolism, transport and utilization of food. The nutrients that are lost when food is refined or processed are fiber, minerals, vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, precious fats and oils and thousands of phytonutrients. Each of these vital nutrients when stripped out of our food has a direct contribution to ill health.
If refining our food creates inflammation and strips all of these necessary nutrients out of our food, then why would we eat it? The answer is simple, while whole foods are healthy they are simply not as profitable or as readily available as cheaply made refined foods with a long shelf life at the super market. There is nothing wrong with a food company attempting to increase profitability by refining foods, but we owe it to ourselves to take control of our own nutrition, health and wellness. Here are a few of Dr. Pitchford’s tips on whole foods:
- Eat whole grains – enjoy sprouted and cooked
- Nuts and seeds – he recommends almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds, Hemp, Flax and Chia seeds for Omega 3.
- Vegetables and Sea Vegetables– eat organic and non GMO (Genetically Modified Organism)
- Animal Products – eat high quality, pasture raised animals with no antibiotics, hormones, chemicals or GMO fed.
- Fruits – he recommends berries, lemons, limes and pomegranate.
- Refined Foods to Avoid – donuts, pop tarts, regular and diet soda, junk candy, white bread, white paste, pastries and bad fats & oils.
Refined foods are also made to create instant gratification with our taste buds. There is nothing wrong with food pleasing our pallet but we are smart enough to realize that if all of the nutrients have been stripped out then the long term health impact and the instant pallet gratification may not be properly aligned. There is no one diet or health plan that will work for everyone, so my hope is that this will be one more piece of knowledge that will help you take control and ownership over your nutrition, health and wellness.