The feeling and reality of acceptance gives people the opportunity to become their best. All people yearn to be recognized and they yearn for approval and affection. Here are a few thoughts on how to inspire people to become their best through recognition and praise:
1) Create a habit of catching people in the act of doing something right. A good sincere compliment can carry a person for a whole day and sometimes a week. Whatever you recognize and compliment will grow quickly within your company.
2) Try to compliment team members in front of their family, especially their spouse. There is nothing better than a hero's welcome at home from someone spouse or family.
3) Recognize in writing to deliver a message that people will remember. There is nothing more powerful than a handwritten note.
4) Recognize in front of peers. Lavish praise beats a lavish gift any day of the week.
5) Recognition doesn't have to be expensive. People will fight hard for the opportunity to be honored, even if it is for something as simple as a t shirt or a trophy.
Zig Ziglar says, "People say motivation doesn't last, well neither does bathing, which is why we recommend doing both daily." If you want to inspire people to become their best, think about how you can effectively recognize and praise.