Les Brown was born a twin and given up for adoption by his biological mother. He and his brother were raised by a single mom with seven children. In middle school, he was declared “Educable Mentally Retarded.” Despite all of the odds, Les has become one of the World’s most renowned motivational speakers. Here are a few excerpts from a recent interview with Les:
- Don’t try to change others, it’s a full time job trying to change yourself.
- Never be afraid to lose money, you can always make more. Be afraid to lose time, you can’t get that back. I wasted 14 years of my life not pursuing my dreams because I was scared of failure.
- If you died today, what dreams, ideas and gifts will die with you? Live full and die empty.
- Judge a person not by what they accomplish, but rather by the challenges that they had to overcome along the way.
- There’s never a shortage of opportunity, there’s only a shortage of thinking.
- Someone’s opinion of you doesn’t have to become your reality. Just because I was labeled mentally retarded in school doesn’t mean that was my reality.
- If you give enough people what they want, you will get what you want.
- We should be ashamed to die without making a substantial impact in someone’s life.
- Once a person’s mind has expanded, it can never go back.
- Ask for help, not because you are weak, but because you want to stay strong.
- Remember OQP. Surround yourself with Only Quality People
- Read 30-40 pages per day of something positive.
- Beware of WMD. Weapons of Mass Distraction.
Les’s message to the world is that you have greatness in you. Anything is possible for your life if you believe it. You are made wonderfully in the image of God. Always pray that God will make you more of “The” and less of “Me.”