Want, Aim, Fire!

Almost one hundred years ago, Andrew Carnegie was asked about the secret to his success. He responded, "We have a master mind here in our business, and that mind is made up of more than a score of men who constitute my personal staff of superintendents and managers and accountants and chemists and other necessary types. No one person in this group is the master mind of which I speak, but the sum total of the minds in the group, co-ordinated, organized and directed to a Definite End in a spirit of harmonious co-operation is the power that got my success for me. No two minds in the group are alike, but each man in the group does the thing that he is supposed to do and he does it better than any other person in the world could do.”  

My big take away from this statement is that the Definite End is the driver of the organized effort. Once a strong culture or "master mind" is established, the Definite End, a.k.a. the Definite Chief Aim is what creates purpose. Here are a few thoughts on the importance of having a Definite Chief Aim:

1) A success study of 16,000 people revealed that only 5% could clearly state their Definite Chief Aim in life and had definite plans for its attainment. The levels of success accomplished by this 5% over the rest of the group were astonishing. The 95% reported that they failed to find happiness and struggled with the ordinary necessities of life.  

2) A Definite Chief Aim must be extremely clear. Vague descriptions were found to generate vague results. Rockefeller's Chief Aim was the advancement of standard oil. Ford's Chief Aim was the advancement of Ford Motor Company. The bottom line is that a Definite Chief Aim needs to be laser focused and clear in order to be effective. 

3) Any Definite Chief Aim that is deliberately fixed in the mind and held there, with the determination to realize it, finally saturates the entire subconscious mind until it automatically influences the physical action of the body toward the attainment of that purpose. Said another way, the simple act of establishing your definite chief aim creates a psychological auto suggestion which you repeatedly make to yourself. 

4) The best way to create a psychological auto suggestion is to write down your DCA and view it on a daily basis. Once auto suggestion begins, your mind and body will know what to do. 

5) The last thing to remember about a DCA is that you must believe with every fiber of your being that you will succeed. Experiencing continuous road blocks along the way needs to be expected, but persistence will prevail in the end. 

Like many laws of the earth, it is the simple principles that work and this one is no exception. In order to become successful, you have to begin with a want or desire to succeed, establish and write down your Definite Chief Aim, and then fire away with action towards its attainment. Want, Aim, Fire!


Get the Latest from Swift Straw via email