The definition of Preeminence is the fact of surpassing all others; superiority. Glen Jackson, founder of Jackson Spaulding, defined Preeminence as: extraordinary excellence that once reached and sustained creates a competitive advantage. You know you have reached preeminence when others strive to be like you, when your competitors aspire to be what you have sustained. Here is what he describes as the 7 pillars of a Preeminent organization:
1) TRUST: built through character and competency. Character success, which is succeeding while no one is watching, always supersedes circumstantial success.
2) Relationship building: they have lots of relational wealth which is created by investing in a relationship for the long term rather than the short term.
3) Marketing communications: every organization has a brand bank account. They know how to make deposits into their brand bank account. Keeping a promise is a deposit. They try to polish their brand every day. They communicate to the world with clarity and integrity.
4) Assessment: they are always assessing their business to make sure they are working on it; not in it. Asking questions like; What do we need to anticipate? What do we need to fix? What do we need to improve? Where can we innovate? How am I growing as a leader? What is the wise thing to do?
Experience doesn't make you better, evaluated experience does.
5) The cultural torch of servant leadership. No task is too small or too big for the servant leader. A healthy culture promotes ideas and personal growth. A healthy culture delivers rewards before results.
6) They Focus on what they do best. They stay in their swim lane. They say no to things outside of their vision. When we lose focus, we start saying yes to things we shouldn't.
7) They are resilient. They have stamina, grit, and determination. It's easier to become a success than it is to stay a success.
As Jim Collins expresses in his book Good to Great, there are many companies that achieve success, but not many that sustain it. If you want sustained success, the 7 Pillars of Preeminence is a great way to guide your path.